This is a simple and easy to use Actor system in Common Lisp.
Requires Bordeaux threads. http://common-lisp.net/project/bordeaux-threads/ 2. Just load actors.lisp and start using it. If you have Quicklisp,
A small manual can be found at : http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~govinn/actors.pdf
Creating an actor class or template
lisp (defactor Actor-Class (state) (message-vars) behavior)
Creating an actor instance
(setq my-actor (Actor-Class (:state-var_1 value_1 ... :state-var_n value_n)))
Sending a message
lisp (send my-actor message_args)
- Concurrency using the actors model.
- Dynamic behavior change of actors.
- A ticker: Keeps printing out a count every 2 seconds, starting from 0 and incrementing it every 2 seconds.
;create the ticker template (defactor ticker ((counter 0)) (m) (sleep 2) (pr counter) (incf counter) (send self nil) next) ; Create an instance (setf t1 (ticker)) ; send a message (async) (send t1 nil) ; to stop use (stop-actor t1)
- A print actor: Prints the message which was sent to it. A very useful utility actor.
;create the actor template (defactor print-actor () (val) (pr val) next) ; initialize a new instance (setf printer (print-actor)) ;send values for printing (send printer "hello, world")
- A factorial computing actor : The name says it all :)
;create the template (defactor fact ((temp 1)) (n cust) (if (equal 1 n) (progn (send cust (* temp 1)) (setf temp 1) next) (progn (setf temp (* n temp)) (send self (- n 1) cust) next))) ;create a new instance (setf f (fact)) ; send a value (send f 4 print-actor)
- A nagger for fun : Works only in Mac OS X. Keeps saying out aloud "please work" every 10 seconds :)
(defactor nagger () () (sleep 10) (trivial-shell:shell-command "say please work") (send self) next) ; anonymous actor , no way to stop the nagging (send (nagger))
- Meta-Circular Adventures in Functional Abstraction The wonderful and detailed original blog post is no longer availabe. The link below points to a snaphost. https://hackerfall.com/story/challenging-clojure-in-common-lisp
- Naveen Sundar G. <email@example.com>